Top 25 Glass Railing SecretsRegular price $0.00
- Is Glass Railing expensive?
- Is Glass Stair Railing more expensive?
- Is Glass Railing worth it?
- Which Glass is best for Railing?
- Is Glass Railings strong?
- Is Cable Railing cheaper than Glass Railing?
- Do Glass Railings get hot?
- Is Glass Railing hard to keep clean?
- How safe is Glass Railing?
- Is Glass balcony Railing Safe?
- Can you lean on Glass Railing?
- What are the 4 types of Glass?
- How thick should the Glass Railing be?
- Is Tempered Glass good for a balcony?
- What type of Glass is used for Deck Railing?
- What does Glass Railing cost?
- How much does Glass cost per foot?
- How do you keep Glass Railing clean?
- What is Spigot Glass Railing?
- How to install Spigot Glass Railing?
- Why choose Glass over other materials?
- What to consider when installing a glass railing system?
- Common things to keep in mind when installing glass railing
- Maintaining a glass railing – keeping glass railing in top shape
- Is there any downfall?
Inline Design is the name you can trust when it comes to Glass Railing. It has been in the business for quite a long time now and has all the necessary glass railing kits to get the job done quickly and efficiently.
Request a Free Design Consultation
1. Is Glass Railing expensive?
What does a glass railing cost? Inline Design's glass railing systems are component-based, ranging from $150 to $270 per linear foot depending on the complexity of the design. Glass railing systems seem expensive upfront but over the lifecycle of the railing are often cheaper with reduced maintenance cost.
2. Is Glass Stair Railing more expensive?
Yes. Glass Stair railing systems require more planning and installation with the glass infill. These costs involve the additional cost associated with the manufacturing of the glass at the angle of the Stair. Inline Design does not charge for the template creation required for these panels.
3. Is Glass Railing worth it?
Glass railing systems are one of the most popular choices when choosing a new railing system. Stunning visual site lines add openness, making spaces feel bigger while facilitating increased light flow. Adding value when designed and installed correctly creating a safe and functional environment.
4. Which Glass is best for Railing?
Tempered Glass, commonly referred to as invisible railings, is used throughout the industry. Working in conjunction with significant glass manufacturers, Inline Design recommends the use of 1/2" thickness. With construction industry standards are slowly moving towards Laminated Glass which is best prescribed for frameless installations.
5. Is Glass Railings strong?
Glass railing never loses its structural integrity when using stainless steel railing posts or clamps. This makes them much safer over the life cycle of the railing system. The glass infill is tempered glass built to stringent safety standards, which will not shatter into sharp pieces.
6. Is Cable Railing cheaper than Glass Railing?
Glass railings are more expensive than cable railing to purchase and install. The versatility, minimalist design, and ease of maintenance make cable railings an intelligent investment for those looking to keep the cost down while with the initial investment. When site lines are essential to the property's value, you can recover the upfront costs of glass railing with the added value to the property.
7. Do Glass Railings get hot?
The glass used in railing systems has a low thermal conductivity but traps heat and reduces airflow. This is known as the greenhouse effect, and proper planning can increase the days you can spend on your deck as the weather cools.
8. Is Glass Railing hard to keep clean?
The simple answer is not at all. The Lifecycle costs to maintain any railing system are important considerations. The Glass infill in railing systems will not rust or corrode, and you can easily remove most stains and debris. Using stainless steel posts, clamps, and mounting hardware make the upkeep an easy process.
9. How safe is Glass Railing?
Glass railings are a beautiful way to add value, sophistication, and luxury to your property. They are anything but fragile being one of the safest materials used in a railing system. Being incredibly durable with low maintenance requirements translates to not a lot of upkeep while keeping you safe.
10. Is Glass balcony Railing Safe?
Tempered glass is heat-treated, which increases the surface strength, thus altering the breaking pattern. On the rare occasion it would break, it will fall apart into small, relatively harmless cubes. There are no openings for children or pets to fall through, and children are unable to climb.
11. Can you lean on Glass Railing?
Glass railings, while incredibility durable and safe does have limitations of the glass itself. Glass railing systems come as either framed or frameless, each with its properties. Framed systems allow users to lean on the frame while sacrificing less visibility than frameless ones. Frameless systems offer increased visibility but remove the ability to rely on the glass railing.
12. What are the 4 types of glass?
There are four basic types of glass, each with its basic properties and costs. These include annealed Glass, Heat Strengthened Glass, Tempered and Laminated. The choices are Tempered and Laminated with a glass railing system and strictly controlled by the International Building Code. Tempered Glass is heated to harden the surface, which alters the breaking pattern to produce small cubes. Laminated glass sandwiches a film between two pieces of tempered glass which controls the breaking pattern.
13. How thick should the Glass Railing be?
Glass Thickness is strictly controlled by the International Building Code (IBC) and International Residential Code (IRC) which translates down to local state, county, and city codes. Most tempered glass comes in ½" thicknesses, while most laminate glass is 9/16" thick. Inline Design glass clamps work well with both thicknesses.
14. Is Tempered Glass good for a balcony?
The cost of laminate glass makes tempered the perfect solution for balconies, pool fencing, or room partitions. Always remembers to check with local building codes before ordering.
15. What type of glass is used for Deck Railing?
Simple answer, tempered glass! Durability and cost are two of the main reasons tempered glass is used in deck railings, making it a good option when looking for elegant, low-maintenance deck railing solutions.
16. What does Glass Railing cost?
Inline Design's glass railing systems are component-based, ranging from $150 to $270 per linear foot, depending on the complexity of the design. Labor is priced per project and runs from $50 to $250 per linear foot, depending on the installer's experience. These costs are often recovered over the lifecycle of the glass railing.
17. How much does glass cost per foot?
The glass used in the glass railing is priced per square foot plus the cost to apply the required features to create a long-lasting, safe railing system. The angles used to create glass stairs railing infill are cut from a rectangle, so the material is lost in the process. Inline Design works with the leading glass fabricators in the USA to achieve competitive pricing, $35.00 SFT that includes all required features to deliver a seamless Glass railing system.
18. How do you keep Glass Railing clean?
Just keep it simple! Your railing system's stainless steel and glass components can be cleaned using basically the same process and cleaners. A simple cleaning solution of liquid dish soap and water works well. Wipe the stainless steel railings and glass with the soap solution and rinse thoroughly, remembering to either squeegee the glass when you are finished or wipe it down with a lint-free cloth. Allow the stainless steel to air dry to form the chromium oxide layer, protecting it from rust and corrosion.
19. What is Spigot Glass Railing?
Spigot Glass Railing is made of panels of Tempered or Laminated Glass held by two extra large heavy duty Glass Clamps called Spigots mounted on the floor.
20. How to install Spigot Glass Railing?
Begin by bolting down the base. Set the plastic shim glass protector in place then slide down the glass panel. Put the base covers on and secure them in place using the provided 2x M5 screw on each side of the Spigot using a 4mm Allen wrench. The base height is slightly adjustable to compensate for the floor irregularities.
21. Why choose Glass over other materials?
There are different types of materials used for railings, such as cables, wood, and aluminum. You probably are wondering why you should install a glass railing system. There are many good reasons why a glass material makes a perfect railing system. These are the following:
Easy to maintain
A glass railing is easy to maintain, especially if you compare it to other fillings like bars, mesh, and cables. The glass panel is sleek and easy to clean. You need to invest in high-quality glass cleaners. Spray the cleaner and wipe it down with a soft cloth, and your glass railing system looks brand new again. Even if there are scratches, you can easily polish them to restore them to their pre-damaged condition.
If you are looking for a highly durable material for your railing system, a glass railing can do wonders. There are different types of glass materials, and each type offers advantages. A perfect example is tempered glass, which can withstand force and extreme outside elements. A tempered glass railing system is tough and durable, making it ideal for outdoor glass railing and glass stair railing needs. Not to mention, the glass railing doesn't mold, rot, or rust.
If you are looking for a railing material that would perfectly fit any interior and exterior details of your house, you can never go wrong with a glass railing. You can use it as a glass stair railing, a balcony glass railing, a glass deck railing, or even an outdoor glass railing.
Design-wise, it is a flexible material that can blend in with other materials. The glass panel railing creates a smooth finish and clean lines. It suits tight space as the glass panel railing creates an illusion of a huge space. When used as a glass deck railing and balcony, the glass railing provides a seamless view of the outdoor landscape.
The durability of glass makes it one of the safest materials for railing systems. If you have pets, kids, and the elderly at home, the more you need to install a glass railing system. A glass railing does not have slats or openings; hence, it would be impossible for the pets or children to stick their heads or limbs through. It prevents the possibility of falls.
Another advantage of a glass railing system is that there are no steps for children to climb to. Hence, You can prevent incidents of children's falls. You'll feel safe when using a tempered glass railing system as the glass panel doesn't break into large sharp pieces. It is one of the main reasons they're safe to use as a glass stair railing and glass railing indoors.
If you live in an area with an unforgiving climate such as strong wind, snowfall, and heavy rain, a high-quality balcony glass railing and outdoor glass railing can withstand such harsh weather conditions. It won't crack or shatter.
Improve the property's resale value
If you are planning to sell your house in the future, installing a glass railing can significantly increase your house's resale value. It adds a security layer and improves the house's overall feel, ambiance, and aesthetic appeal.
Glass is a flexible material allowing you to customize it accordingly. A glass railing can be easily designed to match your home's existing décor and theme. There are different types, sizes, shapes, tints, and glass transparencies to choose from for glass deck railing systems. You can also frost or blur the glass to achieve a certain level of privacy.
Easy to install
Another reason to have a glass railing is the ease of the installation process. Depending on the design and style, the installation process would only require a few minutes. Of course, the working area or space has to be considered too.
For most parts, you don't need complex materials and tools to install the glass railing system. You can install it using a glass panel and a railing. For a complicated glass deck railing project, you will need complete glass railing kits. Even so, the installation process is easier when compared with other railing materials.
Construction companies are now prioritizing materials that are friendly to the environment. Fortunately, glass is an eco-friendly material making it a perfect choice for modular glass railing. A glass panel railing is recyclable and chemically inert. It is safe for the environment, especially for long-term use.
22. What to consider when installing a glass railing system?
When working with glass materials for railing, be it a glass stair railing, balcony glass railing, glass deck railing systems, or indoor glass railing, it is a must to carefully check the hardware and railing structure. You must have complete glass railing kits and ensure that all the equipment and materials can bear the load of the toughened glass. When designing details, the outdoor glass railing and glass railing indoor must meet the building design and specifications.
Inline design strictly abides by the building codes and design requirements for modular glass railing and glass panel deck railing as a whole. It has high-quality glass railing kits, ensuring that every glass railing project is done efficiently without compromising quality.
23. Common things to keep in mind when installing glass railing
- For the usual glass handrail, such as glass stair railing, a handrail is not necessary.
- For outdoor glass railing, especially in areas with a lot of foot traffic, such as the balcony glass railing, it is important to add metal columns for additional support.
- For glass railing installed in multi-stories buildings, the height must be around 1.1 to 1.2 m. it is also important to meet the architectural requirements and design code.
- The glass stair railing's peripheral parts should be polished and chamfered to prevent the possibility of spontaneous glass breakage. For stability, the base of the glass panel, especially the glass stair railing armrest, should be embedded with bolts.
24. Maintaining a glass railing – keeping glass railing in top shape
As glass material becomes one of the top choices for railings such as glass stair railing, balcony glass railing, glass deck railing systems, and glass panel railing, you need to know how to keep the glass materials in top shape. By ensuring proper and regular cleaning and maintenance, you will preserve the beauty of glass railings and prevent damages.
- Keep the dirt and dust away from glass deck railing systems. Wipe the dust and dirt away using a lint-free cloth to thoroughly remove the dust and dirt and ensure you won't leave stains and residue. When cleaning your glass deck railing, you can use a mixture of white vinegar and water. Spray on the glass surface and wipe it down using newspaper. It will make the glass deck railing looking sparklingly brand new.
- When it comes to removing grime and liquid stain, it can be quite challenging as they can't be easily removed by wiping. Glass railing indoors is most often subject to grime and liquid stain, especially glass deck railing systems with a lot of foot traffic. When removing grime, use a damp cloth and make sure you don't use hard water as the glass surface can get damaged by the mineral composition of the water. The best solvent to use when removing grime on the surface of glass railing indoors is distilled or filtered water. It will help retain the shine and brilliance of the glass material. An ammonia-based glass cleaner works wonder too in removing grime on the glass panel deck railing surface. If ammonia-based glass cleaner isn't available, you can create your own cleaner by mixing liquid dish soap and warm water. The ratio is 3:1.
- For glass deck railing and outdoor glass railing in general, there's a tendency that you will experience bird droppings. The key to easily remove bird droppings is to clean them right away. Once they dried up, it could be quite difficult to remove them. To thoroughly remove the stains on the glass deck railing, dilute apple cider vinegar and soak a piece of cloth and use it to wipe off the stain. Vinegar is a powerful antimicrobial agent which helps remove bird and animal droppings.
- Water spots or streaks are caused by water sitting still for a long time. The problem with water spots on glass panel railing is they can be really stubborn to get rid of. One of the effective ways to remove water spots or streaks from your glass deck railing systems is to use a squeegee. Finish it off with a lint-free cloth to ensure that extra water is thoroughly removed from the glass panel deck railing.
- Add a slight acid into your cleaning solution, such as lemon juice. Adding a hint of lemon juice into your glass cleaning solution can make your glass deck railing systems sparklingly clean. The acidic property of lemon juice helps remove tough stains on the glass panel railing. Not only that, but it also helps get rid of odor, leaving your glass deck railing smelling fresh all day.
- When cleaning the glass deck railing, make sure you do not exert too much force on the glass panel as the hardened debris could scratch the glass. The best way to remove dirt like bird droppings is to apply undiluted white vinegar to the stain. It will help loosen the stain.
- Always make it a habit to check the brackets and supports, especially in the balcony glass railing and outdoor glass railing. Check it for the presence of corrosion or loose ends. If the glass panel is attached to wood, check the wood for termites and mold. It would be best if you are going to use brackets like aluminum as such materials are resistant to scratch and corrosion. However, you have to inspect the brackets and support from time to time as they can get loose as time passes by.
25. Is there any downfall?
Although glass deck railing systems are packed with good stuff, you must be aware of a few downfalls, especially if you are going to install the glass panel on large areas. These are the following:
If you are working with a limited budget, you will find glass deck railing systems expensive. Glass railing is a good choice if you look at it as a long-term investment. You'll be able to save money in the long run, especially if you think about the benefits of having a modular glass railing.
Glass railing indoor and outdoor glass railing is designed to withstand extreme environmental conditions, but maintaining them is not an easy feat. You want to clean both inside and outside on a regular basis. Not doing the cleaning of the glass panel railing would result in a more tedious cleaning. A once or twice a week, wiping off dust and dirt can help retain the natural brilliance and cleanliness of the glass panel railing.
Installing a glass panel deck railing can sometimes have a greenhouse effect. During the summer months, it will make the deck warmer than it is supposed to, which can be quite a problem for people who spend most of their time on the deck or outside space.
If you are planning to install glass railing indoor and outdoor glass railing, make sure you consider all important details. Modular glass railing is flexible and can work well in any space, be it indoor or outdoor spaces. However, the durability, longevity, and maintenance requirements have to be considered. There are various types of glass materials to choose from. Each material offers a different level of strength, durability, and charm. Glass railing kits are vast, and you have to find the one that suits your needs, preferences, and budget.
For your glass panel railing needs, do not hesitate to contact Inline Design. It is one of the premier providers of glass railing indoor and outdoor glass railing. Inline Design has been in the industry for quite some time now and knows what materials and designs work best for a particular space. They can also customize glass railing kits according to your needs and preferences.