A railing can be made from different types of materials, and one commonly used material is glass. A glass railing system fits perfectly into any space, be it in a residential or commercial space. It can be used as a balcony glass railing, a glass stair railing, an outdoor glass railing, and a glass panel deck railing, to name a few.
Inline Design is one of the names you can trust when it comes to glass panel railing. It has been in the business for quite a long time now and has all the necessary glass railing kits to get the job done quickly and efficiently.
Table of Contents
- Types of glass used for railing
- Why choose glass over other materials?
- What to consider when installing a glass railing system?
- Common things to keep in mind when installing glass railing
- Maintaining a glass railing – keeping glass railing in top shape
- Is there any downfall?
Types of glass used for railing
Annealing is a procedure that includes slowly cooling the glass to relieve stress once the glass is formed. The purpose is to keep the glass sturdy and resistant to breakage. It is the typical glass used in windows.
A tempered glass railing system consists of several panels that have undergone a heating and cooling method. Tempered glass has a minimum surface compression of 10,000 pounds-per-square-inch (psi) and minimum edge compression of 9,700 psi, according to ASTM C1048.
That makes it over four times stronger than annealed glass. The glass is pre-cut and edged before putting into the furnace and heated at 1200 degrees Fahrenheit. The glass panels are cooled down using quenching, allowing the glass to hardened, making it five times stronger than before. There are many reasons why tempered glass is used as a railing. These include the following:
- Types of glass used for railing
- The glass panel is resistant to rusting and other outside weather elements
- Tempered glass makes a perfect balcony glass railing because it can withstand extreme temperatures
- It requires little maintenance
- It is easy to assemble and customize, which is advantageous, especially when working with special structures
The common way to describe a laminated glass is a “glass sandwich.” In between the glass panel is a layer of vinyl, giving the materials more stability and durability. A laminated glass railing is a perfect material considering the stability and durability it brings.
- It can block the harmful effects of the ultraviolet rays of the sun. If you are looking for a balcony glass railing, laminated glass is the ideal choice. It is also suitable for outdoor glass railing needs and glass deck railing systems.
- It has the ability to reduce sound, which is ideal for glass stair railing and balcony glass railing. It can be installed easily and quickly.
Why choose glass over other materials?
There are different types of materials used for railings, such as cables, woods, and aluminum. You probably are wondering why you should install a glass railing system. There are many good reasons why a glass material makes a perfect railing system. These are the following:
Easy to maintain
A glass railing is easy to maintain, especially if you are going to compare it to other fillings like bar, mesh, and cables. The glass panel is sleek and easy to clean. You just need to invest in high-quality glass cleaner. Spray the cleaner and wipe it down with a soft cloth, and your glass railing system looks brand new again. Even if there are scratches, you can easily polish them to restore them to their pre-damaged condition.
If you are looking for a highly durable material for your railing system, a glass railing can do wonders. There are different types of glass materials, and each type offers advantages. A perfect example is tempered glass, which can withstand force and extreme outside elements. A tempered glass railing system is tough and durable, making it ideal for outdoor glass railing and glass stair railing needs. Not to mention, the glass railing does not mold, rot, or rust.
If you are looking for a railing material that would perfectly fit any interior and exterior details of your house, you can never go wrong with a glass railing. You can use it as a glass stair railing, a balcony glass railing, a glass deck railing, or even an outdoor glass railing.
Design-wise, it is a flexible material that can blend in with other materials. The glass panel railing creates a smooth finish and clean lines. It suits tight space as the glass panel railing creates an illusion of a huge space. When used as a glass deck railing and balcony glass railing provides a seamless view of the outdoor landscape.
The durability of glass makes it one of the safest materials for railing systems. If you have pets, kids, and the elderly at home, the more you need to install a glass railing system. A glass railing does not have slats or openings; hence, it would be impossible for the pets or children to stick their head or limbs through. It prevents the possibility of falls.
Another advantage of a glass railing system is that there are no steps for children to climb to. Hence, incidents of falls in children can be prevented. When using a tempered glass railing system, you’ll feel safe as the glass panel doesn’t break into large sharp pieces. It is one of the main reasons they’re safe to use as a glass stair railing and glass railing indoors.
If you live in an area with an unforgiving climate such as strong wind, snowfall, and heavy rain, a high-quality balcony glass railing and outdoor glass railing can withstand such harsh weather conditions. It won’t crack or shatter.
Improve the property’s resale value
If you are planning to sell your house in the future, installing a glass railing can significantly increase your house’s resale value. It adds a security layer and improves the house’s overall feel, ambiance, and aesthetic appeal.
Glass is a flexible material allowing you to customize it accordingly. A glass railing can be easily designed to match your home’s existing décor and theme. There are different types, sizes, shapes, tints, and glass transparencies to choose from for glass deck railing systems. You can also frost or blur the glass to achieve a certain level of privacy.
Easy to install
Another reason to have a glass railing is the ease of the installation process. Depending on the design and style, the installation process would only require a few minutes. Of course, the working area or space has to be considered too.
For most parts, you don’t need complex materials and tools to install the glass railing system. You can install it using a glass panel and a railing. For a complicated glass deck railing project, you will need complete glass railing kits. Even so, the installation process is easier when compared with other railing materials.
Construction companies are now prioritizing materials that are friendly to the environment. Fortunately, glass is an eco-friendly material making it a perfect choice for modular glass railing. A glass panel railing is recyclable and chemically inert. It is safe for the environment, especially for long-term use.
What to consider when installing a glass railing system?
When working with glass materials for railing, be it a glass stair railing, balcony glass railing, glass deck railing systems, or glass indoor railing, it is a must to check the hardware and railing structure carefully. You must have complete glass railing kits and ensure that all the equipment and materials can bear the load of the toughened glass. When it comes to design details, the outdoor glass railing and glass railing indoor must meet the building design and specifications.
Inline Design strictly abides by the building codes and design requirements for modular glass railing and glass panel deck railing as a whole. It has high-quality glass railing kits, ensuring that every glass railing project is done efficiently without compromising quality.
Common things to keep in mind when installing glass railing
- For the usual glass handrail, such as glass stair railing, a handrail is not necessary.
- For outdoor glass railing, especially in areas with a lot of foot traffic, such as the balcony glass railing, it is a must to add metal columns for additional support.
- For glass railing installed in multi-stories buildings, the height must be around 1.1 to 1.2 m. it is also important to meet the architectural requirements and design code.
- The glass stair railing’s peripheral parts should be polished and chamfered to prevent the possibility of spontaneous glass breakage. For stability, the base of the glass panel, especially the glass stair railing armrest, should be embedded with bolts.
Maintaining a glass railing – keeping glass railing in top shape
As glass material becomes one of the top choices for railings such as glass stair railing, balcony glass railing, glass deck railing systems, and glass panel railing, it is a must to know how to keep the glass materials in top shape. By ensuring proper and regular cleaning and maintenance, you will be able to preserve the beauty of glass railings and prevent damages.
- Keep the dirt and dust away from glass deck railing systems. Wipe the dust and dirt away using a lint-free cloth to thoroughly remove the dust and dirt and ensure you won’t leave stains and residue. When cleaning your glass deck railing, you can use a mixture of white vinegar and water. Spray on the glass surface and wipe it down using newspaper. It will make the glass deck railing looking sparklingly brand new.
- When it comes to removing grime and liquid stain, it can be quite challenging as they can’t be easily removed by wiping. Glass railing indoor is most often subject to grime and liquid stain, especially glass deck railing systems receiving a lot of foot traffic. When removing grime, use a damp cloth and make sure you don’t use hard water as the glass surface can get damaged by the mineral composition of the water. The best solvent to use when removing grime on the surface of glass railing indoor is distilled or filtered water. It will help retain the shine and brilliance of the glass material. An ammonia-based glass cleaner works wonder too in removing grime on glass panel deck railing surface. If ammonia-based glass cleaner isn’t available, you can create your own cleaner by mixing liquid dish soap and warm water. The ratio is 3:1.
- For glass deck railing and outdoor glass railing in general, there’s a tendency that you will experience bird droppings. The key to easily remove bird droppings is to clean them right away. Once they dried up, it could be quite difficult to remove them. To thoroughly remove the stains on the glass deck railing, dilute apple cider vinegar and soak a piece of cloth and use it to wipe off the stain. Vinegar is a powerful antimicrobial agent which helps remove bird and animal droppings.
- Water spots or streaks are caused by water sitting still for a long time. The problem with water spots on glass panel railing is they can be really stubborn to get rid of. One of the effective ways to remove water spots or streaks from your glass deck railing systems is to use a squeegee. Finish it off with a lint-free cloth to ensure that extra water is thoroughly removed from the glass panel deck railing.
- Add a slight acid into your cleaning solution, such as lemon juice. Adding a hint of lemon juice into your glass cleaning solution can make your glass deck railing systems sparklingly clean. The acidic property of lemon juice helps remove tough stains on the glass panel railing. Not only that, but it also helps get rid of odor, leaving your glass deck railing smelling fresh all day.
- When cleaning glass deck railing, make sure you do not exert too much force on the glass panel as the hardened debris could scratch the glass. The best way to remove dirt like bird droppings is to apply undiluted white vinegar to the stain. It will help loosen the stain.
- Always make it a habit to check the brackets and supports, especially in the balcony glass railing and outdoor glass railing. Check it for the presence of corrosion or loose ends. If the glass panel is attached to wood, check the wood for the presence of termites and mold. It would be best if you are going to use brackets like aluminum as such materials are resistant to scratch and corrosion. However, you have to inspect the brackets and support from time to time as they can get loose as time passes by.
Is there any downfall?
Although glass deck railing systems are packed with good stuff, there are a few downfalls that you have to be aware of, especially if you are going to install the glass panel on large areas. These are the following:
if you are working with a limited budget, you will find glass deck railing systems expensive. It would require huge upfront money, but if you are going to look at it as a long-term investment, glass railing is a good choice. You’ll be able to save money from it in the long run, especially if you are going to think about the benefits of having a modular glass railing.
Glass railing indoor and outdoor glass railing is designed to withstand extreme environmental conditions, but maintaining them is not an easy feat. You need to clean both inside and out regularly. Not doing the cleaning of the glass panel railing would result in a more tedious cleaning. A once or twice a week wiping off dust and dirt can help retain the natural brilliance and cleanliness of the glass panel railing.
Installing a glass panel deck railing can sometimes have a greenhouse effect. During the summer months, it will make the deck warmer than it is supposed to, which can be quite of a problem for people who spend most of their time on the deck or outside space.
If you are planning to install glass railing indoor and outdoor glass railing, make sure you take into consideration all important details. Modular glass railing is flexible and can work well in any space, be it indoor or outdoor spaces. However, the durability, longevity, and maintenance requirements have to be considered. There are various types of glass materials to choose from. Each material offers a different level of strength, durability, and charm. Glass railing kits are vast, and you have to find the one that suits your needs, preferences, and budget.
For your glass panel railing needs, do not hesitate to contact Inline Design. It is one of the premier providers of glass railing indoor and outdoor glass railing. Inline Design has been in the industry for quite some time now and knows exactly what types of materials and designs work best for a particular space. They can also customize glass railing kits according to your needs and preferences.