List of Publicly Traded Steel Companies Listed on Major US Stock Exchange
There is a large selection of steel companies on U.S. exchanges. A few of these companies are integrated steel producers that are involved in many steps of steel making process. Here is a simplified and brief explanation of the steel making process for those unfamiliar with the steel industry:
- Steel is an alloy made up of iron and carbon. The iron source comes from iron ore and the carbon source comes from coke.
- Iron ore and metallurgic coal (used to create coke) are key components in the early stages of the steel making process. Because of this, it is not uncommon for large steel producers to own iron ore and metallurgic coal mines.
- During the iron-making stage, iron ore is smelted with coke in a blast furnace, which produces molten iron. Some companies skip this step by using mini-mills that produce steel from scrap metal.
- During the steelmaking stage impurities are taken out, and alloying elements are added in, which produces the type of steel the manufacturer is attempting to make.
- Steel makers then manufacture steel into a variety of simple shapes and forms; this steel is then used by many companies on the following list to make a variety of specific steel products. While far too numerous to list, these products are used in nearly every manufacturing industry.
If a company is involved in these steps they are referred to as an integrated steel company. Most of the companies on the following list are not integrated steel companies and come in at the product creation stage. These companies purchase the steel from steel manufacturers and then make their steel based products for numerous end-users.
Additional publicly traded metal and mining companies and metal and mining categories can be accessed through the link below:
A comparison widget that shows trend, earnings per share (EPS), P/E ratio and beta for all of the companies on this list can be accessed through the link below.
Select the company’s link to access charts, news links and company website and social media information.
Steel: Large-Cap Stocks
ArcelorMittal (MT) (Luxembourg – Integrated steel producer)
Nucor Corporation (NUE) (Steel producer and scrap metal recycling facilities)
POSCO (PKX) (South Korea – Integrated steel company)
Tenaris S.A. (TS) (Luxembourg – Tubes, casing and line, mechanical and structural pipes)
Steel: Mid-Cap Stocks
AK Steel Holding Corporation (AKS) (Stainless and electrical steel products)
Commercial Metals Company (CMC) (Flat, long and specialty steel, scrap metal)
Companhia Siderúrgica Nacional (SID) (Brazil – Integrated steel company)
Gerdau S.A. (GGB) (Brazil – Long steel, special steel, iron ore, scrap metal recycling facilities)
Grupo Simec, S.A. de C.V. (SIM) (Mexico – Commercial steel products and special bar quality steels)
Steel Dynamics, Inc. (STLD) (Integrated steel company and scrap metal recycling facilities)
Ternium S.A. (TX) (Luxembourg – Integrated steel producer)
United States Steel Corporation (X) (Integrated steel producer)
Worthington Industries, Inc. (WOR) (Value-added steel processor)
Steel: Micro-Cap Stocks
Synalloy Corporation (SYNL) (Metals and Chemicals)
Universal Stainless & Alloy Products, Inc. (USAP) (Semi-finished and finished specialty steel products)
Steel: Nano-Cap Stocks
Friedman Industries Inc. (FRD) (Coil (hot-rolled steel coils) and tubular (steel pipe))
Ossen Innovation Co., Ltd. (OSN) (China: Pre-stressed concrete steel materials)
Steel: Small-Cap Stocks
Carpenter Technology Corporation (CRS) (Variety of steel based products)
Haynes International, Inc. (HAYN) (Nickel and cobalt based alloys)
Mechel OAO (MTL) (Russia – Coal mining, iron ore, rolled product manufacturing, specialty steel and alloy producer and heat and electrical power)
Timken Steel Corporation (TMST) (Alloy, carbon and micro-alloy steel, special bar quality (SBQ) large bars, seamless mechanical steel tubing and precision steel components)